So, like you, I’m chomping at the bit to see spring practice get going for all the SEC teams. So many storylines, questions, newcomers, etc. So much to ponder. So what has my attention with spring football upon us?
I’ll make it look like 10 things. Probably a few more if you read carefully.
1. How will Derrick Henry look as Alabama’s primary running back? I truly think he is Heisman special. Not only is he pushing 250 pounds and fast and electric, but I think he will be one of those backs that gets better as the game wears on.
We all remember that back, the big bruiser who keeps beating on a defense over and over, and by the fourth quarter, the defense is weary and the back just looks stronger. The guy who is better when lathered up. That is Henry. Now he has the chance to be that.
2. Ditto all that with Nick Chubb and Leonard Fournette at Georgia and LSU, respectively. Now, all of those guys are THE man on campus. All are first-rounders. All are good enough to garner Heisman Trophy votes. All play for teams who could win championships. Do those two guys dominate practice in March and April?
3. What does the Ole Miss offense look like under Hugh Freeze WITHOUT Bo Wallace? I know, many believed Wallace was a marginal talent and the Freeze offense was the reason for the big numbers. I probably agree to a point. But Bo did make the plays. I know he struggled down the stretch, but don’t kid yourself, this renaissance of Rebels football happened with him under center. Let’s see where it goes now.
4. What, exactly, will Jim McElwain’s offense look like at Florida? It will be awhile before we see much of it in person because word is out all practices will be closed to the public, but I do wonder. Is it the pro set he ran at Alabama or the spread he ran at Colorado State? Or some mix of the two.
I’m sure one of the primary reasons Mac has closed practice is because others are wondering the same thing. So why tip your hand? Gonna be fun to follow.
5. Speaking of changes in play-calling, what will Brian Schottenheimer run at Georgia? What will Tennessee’s offense look like without spread guru Mike Bajakian calling plays this year? LSU with no John Chavis? Texas A&M WITH John Chavis.
6. What about life for Auburn after Nick Marshall? Marshall was one of the most interesting storylines in the league in a long time. Signs with Georgia as a defensive back, doesn’t go so well, lands in JUCO as a quarterback, heads to Auburn and is 13 seconds from a national title in his first season at QB and now the NFL wants him as a DB. Phew. But what now for the Tigers without him?
7. Is Arkansas as improved as it appears? Can you really still use that old school downhill run, with I-formation and iso plays to victory in the SEC like the Hogs are trying to do?
8. Will Dak Prescott look great all spring as he begins the league’s most publicized Heisman candidacy of the year?
9. With Kony Ealy, Michael Sam and now Shane Ray gone, is there anybody left there who can rush the passer for Missouri?
10. Is A&M’s Kyle Allen as good as he looked at times or as clunky as he looked other?
So that’s it. I’m sure there are others. And I probably snuck in more than 10. Oh, here’s one more:
I know everyone’s spring game is on TV now thanks to the SEC Network. So can I get all the practices on the tube, too?
© 2016, gridironnow.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.